You’re gathered around a roaring fire watching ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’ when a neighbour calls to alert you to the sparks spewing from your chimney. By the time Fire Services arrive, it has become a full-blown fire. This is a frightening experience that 110 families will go through this week. Some will even wait for the fire to burn itself out, not realising it can crack the chimney and spread to the structure of the house.
The good news is, it’s a hazard that’s easily avoided. By sweeping your chimney regularly and having it professionally inspected, you’ll ensure that the only fire in your house this winter is the one in your hearth. Simple steps such as capping your chimney with wire mesh to prevent birds nesting in the flue and taking care not to burn wrapping paper will keep your chimney in good shape. Santa will thank you too, as these small precautions will help him get in and out in two shakes of a lamb’s tail. Happy Christmas!